OUR INAUGURAL SPONSORS!
People United for Pets (P.U.P. Dog Rescue)
Rescue Dog of the Week:
Here’s Marc’s page:
Interview with the Director of PUP Dog Rescue:
If you’d like to know more about PUP Dog Rescue and more about how to find a good rescue organization, as well as get some tips about picking a good rescue dog for you, here’s my interview with Laura Tonkin (She’s the Director of PUP Dog Rescue)
DETAILS IN THIS SESSION
The three big mistakes with a small breed dog:
- Too much freedom and not enough training
2. Bubble wrapping your smaller dog (or not thinking of them as an adult dog)
- Start treating your small breed dog like a bigger dog
- Stop carrying your dog so many places (let them do more for themselves)
3. Trying to soothe or “talk down” reactive behavior.
- Interrupt or correct inappropriate reactive behavior
- Work through protracted “approach and retreat” work to coach your dog through more appropriate settling behavior in closer proximity to triggering distractions.
SUB – Problems
- People sometimes hesitate to use actual training equipment – so, try using actual training collars or equipment when training your smaller breed dogs.
- Some smaller breed dogs are great actors – they play the victim well because they know they’re owner will stop what they’re doing and pick the dog up. – So, just work through your training methodically, and little by little, let your smaller breed dog work through some training with you.